Reaction score
By Rex,

This is a piece I'm about to submit to Auto-Journals:

Three RenaultSport cars in eight months: whilst that statistic may appear to be the symptom of a depreciation junkie, in truth it is my car history since September 2007.

Ownership of my first Renault Sport, an Arctic Blue Clio 182, came to a sudden and catastrophic end last September. Whilst exploring a narrow white line running through Snowdonia, the 182 was killed by drowning due to a combination of low tyre tread, power under steer and a greasy chicane.

The Clio 182 was a laugh riot. Above 5000rpm the engine’s solenoid would wreak havoc and let slip the dogs of torque. However, as the supplier of any hot hatch should know, delivering huge power in a small light car is foolhardy if the chassis cannot cope. Fortunately the gurus at Renault Sport, with the Cup suspension, had ensured the 182 was able to give the driver the confidence to direct the engine’s power in more than just a straight line.

Inside, the Recaro Trendlines provided a racing aesthetic as well as excellent lumbar and lateral support. The inclusion of a six speaker stereo, cruise control and climate control ensured long motorway journeys – the least entertaining part of an adventure into North Wales – were both entertaining and relaxing. The 182 was everything I could have asked for in my first foray into the world of performance cars.

This is probably why I owned the Renault Sport Clio 197 for about a month. Of all the Renault Sports I have owned, the 197 certainly proved to have the best build quality. Having said that I only covered 2000 miles so I don't know whether anything would have begun to shake, rattle and roll soon after. But for a brief while, the 197's interior made me feel like I was sitting inside a BMW.

The 197, however, had one major problem (well two actually and I'll come to the second later): it just didn't feel fast enough. When faced with a dry open road it just didn't excite me; it couldn't put the same huge smile on my face that the 182 could. I kept thinking to myself after 5000 miles this car will come alive, the engine will be set free and the RS magic will unleash itself. But alas I will never know, and I will never know because of major problem number two: petrol consumption.

Now don't get me wrong, I know perfectly well that one of the criteria for choosing a performance car is NOT fuel economy. The 197 is certainly a thirsty car, and you would expect that. However I cannot justify paying an extra £10 to fill a 55 litre tank that has the same range as the 182’s 45 litre tank: especially if that extra £10 provides less excitement. Two plus two wasn’t equally four and something had to be done.

So after much deliberation (6 minutes and 43 seconds), I decided the 197 must go. But what to replace it with was a big question. I considered another 182 with Cup packs, but I felt it would be hard to find a low mileage example with Recaros. I knew that without these prerequisites I would be left wanting. And there is nothing more terrible than regretting buying a car you know you ought to love.

This left me with one choice: the Renault Sport Clio Trophy.

Now don’t think that I bought this car because it was the last resort. It was the only choice. The Trophy may not have the interior comforts of the first 182; in fact you barely get air conditioning. Nor does it have the build quality of the 197; indeed the Trophy’s firmer ride ensures the car shakes its dash board to pieces. However none of this matters.
Financially, compared to the 197, the Trophy has saved me £600 in insurance over the year, £40 a month in fuel and £70 a month in finance repayments. That’s £1920 in a year!

The Trophy has the same Recaro Trendlines as my first 182 and in place of the Cup suspension a bespoke set up produced by Sachs which transforms the car into what EVO magazine called a ‘giant killer’. The Trophy’s chassis enables you to enter and exit a corner a little faster than ought to be possible. Take this car on any road, in any area of outstanding natural beauty, and you will be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable, involving drive. The Trophy’s chassis and engine give you the confidence to test not only the car’s limits, but also your own.

But it isn’t completely standard. The thick end of £400 bought me Brembo High Carbon discs, Mintex 1144 pads and Goodridge braided brake lines. When compared to the standard set up, this combination of mainly carbon has given the Trophy improved the braking response and ensured the brakes are effective at higher temperatures. The result is greater confidence to brake late into corners and let the suspension and Michelin Pilot Exalto tyres provide masses of grip, taking you round with minimal drama.

Soon after the brakes were fitted I went into the Brecon Beacons to test them out. I know a great little loop of roads that involves the A470, the B4215 and an unclassified that takes you past Ystradfellte (however that’s pronounced). The roads were wet, muddy and since the difference between temperature and dew point was less than 3 degrees Celsius, foggy. Although I wasn’t pushing as hard as I could, the Trophy was faultless. There wasn’t a hint of under steer or an indication of over steer. It is exactly what a hot hatch should be: focused, furious and fun.

Unfortunately time is not being kind to the Trophy. As each day passes most of the 500 sold in the UK are adding mileage and subtracting months left on their warranties. Even more concerning is the current legislative climate putting constraints on manufacturers. So not only is the number of fine examples decreasing, but I get the horrible feeling that the days of cars being produced like the Trophy are over.

Overall, the Trophy is by far most accomplished performance car I have owned. And if you have a spare £10,000 it ought to be the most accomplished hot hatch you have owned.

Reaction score
DaveTrophy said:
Trophy saved 600 quid on insurance over the 197?!

don't believe that either myself... the R27 is a group 16 and the Trophy 17.... about a £120 reduction for me between the two cars

it's an alright article tbh, but not good enough for me to cream myself over and proclaim it to be a great read.

reading that might actually make me find the time to write my own comparison of the 172, 182FF, Trophy and R27

Reaction score
Trophy No.
g40steve said:
Not my words, Rex form RS :lol:

Steve, i didn't think it was yours i give you a lot more credit than that. But really what a bunch of old twaddle, i mean "since the difference between the temp and the dew point etc etc........." WTF is that all about? self important tuna.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
g40steve said:

Steve, i didn't think it was yours i give you a lot more credit than that. But really what a bunch of old twaddle, i mean "since the difference between the temp and the dew point etc etc........." WTF is that all about? self important tuna.

Lol! Spot on... And to be pedantic shouldn't the first order of business after fitting breaks be to bed them and not hoon around welsh b roads ;-)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
a bit better than i'd come up with

172 - fun but dangerous
197 - overwieght, well built, sturdy and surefooted
182 Trophy, Wow, time to smile :)

Not enough journo know how in there lol.

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
hoolio said:
g40steve said:

Lol! Spot on... And to be pedantic shouldn't the first order of business after fitting breaks be to bed them and not hoon around welsh b roads ;-)

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! It's Brakes on a car, Breaks in a canteen!!!!!

You guys are also completely wrong, Rex is a really nice guy, he's a maths teacher and used to put logic puzzles and stuff up on RS which I was nearly always first to complete. He was one of the only guys on there who wasn't a self important know-nothing twonk. Had many a good chat with the guy, and he's got a Trophy now, which means you have to like him!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve said:
duffer987 said:
hoolio said:
g40steve said:

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! It's Brakes on a car, Breaks in a canteen!!!!!

You guys are also completely wrong, Rex is a really nice guy, he's a maths teacher and used to put logic puzzles and stuff up on RS which I was nearly always first to complete. He was one of the only guys on there who wasn't a self important know-nothing twonk. Had many a good chat with the guy, and he's got a Trophy now, which means you have to like him!

i support his article +1

plus it's breaks if you hit anything :)