Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi guys

Itching to go out and experience my first track day in the Trophy; I race karts nationally and have tested at Palmersport a couple of times (including the Clio Cups) so looking forward to taking my own car out!

Would you recommend me purchasing a different set of rims and tyres, bearing in mind it's my first track day will I really need them? Also, I suppose it would be wise to have the brake fluid changed before going?

Any help much appreciated!

Jack

Reaction score
Its its your 1st track day, id strongly advise against spending much money on the car - you might not like it lol ...

Put some Dot 4 fluid in, & remove the front fogs/arch liners to keep the brakes cool. Then just go & have some fun.

If you're the last of the late brakers, some DS2500's might be an idea, but tbh, id see how you get on with everything standard 1st. My car is highly modified now, but only after doing lots of track days to see what, if anything, needs changing.

Reaction score
Think Sir Dave has covered it all there tbh

If you keep doing trackdays then you'll see for yourself what tweeks and improovements that'll suit your driving style and needs etc. My 1st=Standard Car, 2nd=New Wheels and Tyres, 3rd= Harnesses and ducting . . .

Just have fun :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
marrow said:
eljeffo64 said:
As above ^^ but std pads are rubbish so take care...

std pads are rubbish on the road too

Very true. Brake pads were the first things I changed, it didn't take a track day to realise that. As long as you don't drive beyond the limits of the pads then there is no 'need' to change them. The standard fluid will be fine because you will experience pad fade before the fluid boils (if using standard pads).

Reaction score
There will usually be a company there taking photos which are always great to pick up on your first day.

Especially if you get it on 3 :D

If you do post some up mate so we can see how you have got on,

Good luck,

Nick

Reaction score
marrow said:

I actually disagree tbh, & most of my friends have only now upgraded to aftermarket pads - we all do 5/6 track days a year. Most of the issue with standard pads is related to overheating, remove the arch liners & fog lights and you'll find they are considerably better than you think!

Good braking is very much about cooling imho, not just pad material.

If its your 1st trackday, if you are sensible, standard everything will be fine - i didnt have any problems in my 100% standard Trophy last year at Snetterton for example. The following day i went off & did 3k miles around Europe as well. No issues.

Reaction score
Sir_Dave said:
marrow said:

I actually disagree tbh, & most of my friends have only now upgraded to aftermarket pads - we all do 5/6 track days a year. Most of the issue with standard pads is related to overheating, remove the arch liners & fog lights and you'll find they are considerably better than you think!

Good braking is very much about cooling imho, not just pad material.

I never tried the standard pads on track but I also thought they were awful on the road.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Agree with Dave to a certain extent, the standard are not great and are not in the same ball park as my Pagid blue but my my main problem was wet stopping. So like others have said don't get too hung up on brakes and stuff first time around and enjoy.

Reaction score
From your experience it sounds like you know what your doing. Fresh fluid would be well worthwhile. I suspect a standard trophy might feel a bit frustrating after karting or the Clio cup. Standard tyres and brakes are going to struggle if you drive it hard in the dry. Always good to learn more about the car though. Have fun!