Bonnet release broken

Reaction score
Hi all, my bonnet release has just broken, so can’t open the bonnet, anyone got any tips how I can get round that?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Broken, which bit or is it just not functioning? If the push down and tug up is not working for you I think the next step is bumper off……..

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think you need to get under the bonnet to take the bumper off... There are two plastic push clips on the black plastic that has the safety labels on.

Which part has broken exactly? Inside the car?

Reaction score
Hi both the inside lever goes all the way up, without popping the bonnet, I’m going to have another go when I have someone to hold it up while I bounce the bonnet, it’s going to be a right pain if it doesn’t budge

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi both the inside lever goes all the way up, without popping the bonnet, I’m going to have another go when I have someone to hold it up while I bounce the bonnet, it’s going to be a right pain if it doesn’t budge

Yes but they attach the grill and the bumper should pull away from that allowing a little more access to the mechanism.

Be very careful pulling and pushing. The bonnet dent is a pig.

Reaction score
Trophy No.

Okay is the lever very loose? Do you think it has detached from the cable there?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi all, my bonnet release has just broken, so can’t open the bonnet, anyone got any tips how I can get round that?
Hello,

I found this post from 2006, relating to a 172 with the same problem. I hope it helps.
I guess it might be worth looking at another car to get a better idea where the target is before dealing with yours. Good luck..

See below...

lol my mate sorted it today, took about 5 minutes total, 2 mins to get the bonnet open 5 mins to fit the new cable

he got his hand up behind the bumper with a screwdriver, pushed the bonnet release spring with the screwdriver and bonnet popped open.

so there was no need for a new bonnet to be bought, painted, fitted and no need for the lock to be drilled.

Reaction score
Okay is the lever very loose? Do you think it has detached from the cable there?
Good news it opened this morning in the warmer weather, I think the cable has stretched to its limits so it’s something to fix/ adjust, but at lease I can fix the trickle charger now. :)

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Good news it opened this morning in the warmer weather, I think the cable has stretched to its limits so it’s something to fix/ adjust, but at lease I can fix the trickle charger now. :)
Glad to hear it! A relief I’m sure, and I know the feeling. Mine did this once and like yours seemed to miraculously fix itself after being left alone after I can’t remember whether it was some kind coaxing words or a bout of some choice anglo-Saxon!

Anyway, I didn’t dare contribute to the thread earlier with this information in case folk thought I’d was losing the plot altogether… 🤣 But glad to hear you’ve made some progress. (y)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Glad to hear it! A relief I’m sure, and I know the feeling. Mine did this once and like yours seemed to miraculously fix itself after being left alone after I can’t remember whether it was some kind coaxing words or a bout of some choice anglo-Saxon!

Anyway, I didn’t dare contribute to the thread earlier with this information in case folk thought I’d was losing the plot altogether… 🤣 But glad to hear you’ve made some progress. (y)

What you as The Cable Whisperer? We wouldn’t have made fun of that at all……..😉

Mine does sometimes delay popping up but I guess it is a matter of keeping things lubed up.