Ashers' OEM+ BG Trophy Project

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi guys

Been a member on this forum for a little while now, but have never owned a Clio, or indeed any model of Renault before.

Have wanted a 182 for ages, especially a Trophy, but was never in the position to own one.

Just over a month ago, a very tidy Clio 182 with low miles popped up, in Black Gold and with both Cup packs making it a Full Fat model (sorry that it isn't a Trophy!). It also had a nice extra in the way of Trophy Recaros, and I believe this is a factory fitted option as opposed to being donated from a Trophy. So as an excuse for a drive a few weekends back, I went up to take a look at it. This resulted in me then going back up the next day to pay for it and drive it back home. It was a bit of an impulse buy, as I had not planned on looking at cars that weekend, let alone buying one!

Whilst I would love a Trophy, this was the next best thing, and if I am being completely honest, then the one thing I have never been overly keen with on the Trophy is just the colour. I don't think it is in any way horrible, and I would still definitely own one without question, I just prefer Black Gold and Racing Blue. Therefore, I decided to try and find a tidy BG/RB FF 182, and make it to Trophy spec. I appreciate it will cost more this way, and won't ultimately be worth as much as a Trophy, but I am fine with that and it makes for a nice project for me.

So I hope it is acceptable to have my project thread on here! I wasn't quite sure where to post my project thread when looking at all the forum sections, so decided to put it in the 'Media' section.

I will apologise now as most of the pictures have been taken on my iPhone, so the quality may not be perfect! I will try and remember to use my digital camera where possible, but a phone is just so handy!

So, to begin. How she was when advertised and when I picked her up...

IMG_2562_zps3bo3rba1.jpg

IMG_2564_zpsxh4h6ai5.jpg

IMG_2563_zpslfn1kmoo.jpg

Second day of ownership, battery light and STOP light came on permanently. Dead battery next morning. Turned out to be a faulty alternator, so this was replaced for a brand new Valeo unit under warranty from dealer I purchased the car from. I also had the Cambelt and Dephaser Pulley changed whilst the alternator was being replaced.

Next on the list was to source a set of Turini wheels. Got in touch with a guy who had a set which were apparently in anthracite and in good condition. Exchanged a couple of emails and then took the trip to Bristol to collect them...

IMG_2587_zpsdjck2zto.jpg

They aren't technically anthracite. After managing to track down and get in touch with the guy who painted the wheels, it turns out they were sprayed in Honda Cosmic Grey (paint code escapes me now). Doesn't show up well in pictures, but they have a slightly blue tint to them, and have some fleck in the wheels. They look the nuts if I am honest, need to be seen as camera can't pick it up well. Reason I got paint code from him was if/when I need them repainted again in the future. Here they are when they were first fitted to the car. They are 172 Cup spec and not Trophy spec as these are much more available.

IMG_2615_zpsr2oiocdi.jpg

IMG_2619_zpsd699jpmn.jpg

I then carried out the following work:

Pipercross air filter element in standard airbox
New cabin filter
Honda Type R aerial
Aero wipers front and rear
Oil and filter change with Genuine Filter and Fuchs Titan Race Pro S Oil
New style 'RS' rear badge ('Renault Sport' and 'Clio' removed)
New set of genuine RenaultSport mats from my local dealer
Swapped over my Alpine Bluetooth head unit from my last car

Didn't take any pictures of the above work apart from the new 'RS' badge fitted which tidies the rear end up a treat in my opinion. All the other bits you'll no doubt see as more pictures are taken in the future!

IMG_2665_zps6mys555q.jpg

Next I bought a spare set of dash trims, which I will be having trimmed in Alcantara at some point. This will then match the Alcantara handbrake cover, wing mirror covers, door pillar trims and A pillars which I have recently bought from a member over on ClioSport. No pictures as they have not arrived yet.

I also bought a second hand used steering wheel which I will soon be having retrimmed by Jack at Royal Steering Wheels in Alcantara. Again, no pictures until it has been retrimmed.

Next, took it for a drive to the first Goodwood Breakfast Club meet of the year on Sunday 3rd May. Anybody who went will understand why the car was looking like this when I got home. The pictures honestly made it look clean! Was a good drive though.

IMG_2666_zpsgadsiaoj.jpg

IMG_2667_zpsbd8bjjoy.jpg

IMG_2668_zps9vgagqe6.jpg

Picked up a BTB exhaust system from a member on this forum after the Goodwood Breakfast Club meet. Here it was in bubble wrap waiting to be fitted to the car.

IMG_2670_zps29zaqtlo.jpg

This little collection of goodies then arrived to be fitted along with the BTB exhaust. Also changed the upstream Lambda for a brand new genuine one too.

IMG_2686_zpsktgs1nyj.jpg

Pictures of the exhaust system on the car are a little bit further down where the car is getting a clean. Awesome piece of kit, am very happy with it, and it isn't overly loud either which I was a little fearful of. Couldn't be happier with it.

Next up, I ordered a set of Magnecor ignition leads (no pics), a set of genuine spark plugs, and a new inlet manifold gasket and inlet manifold seal from my local dealer. This was all fitted last weekend.

Fitted a new set of number plates next; standard rear and 3/4 at the front to fit the recess better. Took an age getting all the old sticky pads off from behind the old plates, but was worth the effort. New plates really tidy up the car. Pics further down.

K-Tec braided brake hoses arrived last week. Now I need to order a set of genuine rear discs and pads, Brembo HC front discs, DS2500 front pads and some ATE brake fluid, and then I can get it all fitted.

IMG_2774_zpspsafsbz2.jpg

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So after fitting the plugs and leads last weekend, I decided to give the girl a clean followed by a mini detailing session.

Started with a clay bar session which resulted in this. As you can see, certainly needed it!

IMG_2740_zpshlhmvxvj.jpg

Next up was a machine polishing session to remove some of the swirl marks from bad washing techniques over the years. I used some Zaino polish and a DA machine. No pictures of this process I'm afraid.

After that, I went over with some Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine to give a nice finish.

Finally, was coated with two layers of Dodo Juice wax for a bit of protection.

The wheels were cleaned with some CarPro Iron X. Awesome stuff, highly recommended...

IMG_2729_zpsfwilf9uy.jpg

IMG_2730_zpsfsbbpsj4.jpg

And the end result below. It is by no means perfect as I didn't spend as long as I would have liked to on it, but she is looking a darned site better than before. I will perform a more thorough detail in a couple of months with a slightly more aggressive cutting compound. Please excuse the puddle in the centre of my front bumper by the way! My windscreen washer fluid seems to be leaking from the nearside headlight washer and running down and across the bumper. A job to sort in the coming weeks, probably by fitting a set of colour coded blanks but we'll see.

You can also see most of the changes/modifications I have mentioned above in these photos too (exhaust, plates, badges, aerial etc).

IMG_2764_zpsppixxavw.jpg

IMG_2760_zpsnx9cqrv0.jpg

IMG_2753_zpsmgurzpdl.jpg

IMG_2751_zpsri5w9n6q.jpg

IMG_2750_zpsoxx1rsjn.jpg

IMG_2747_zpskzep2gv1.jpg

IMG_2745_zpsnutajsio.jpg

Ordered a shifter/gear knob from a Phase 1 172 last week. Gear knob has been painted black (perfect as I was looking to do this anyway) and it already has the Yanoo adjustable stiff shift kit fitted with brass bushes too...

shifter_zpsw6cy1fzh.jpg

Waiting for this to arrive at the moment, but once it is here, I shall be getting it fitted along with some new gearbox oil. Can't wait!

Next to arrive was my ITG Maxogen kit...

IMG_2771_zpslondhxr7.jpg

So, it was out with the Pipercross panel filter (now for sale in the classified by the way) and in with the ITG this weekend...

IMG_2788_zpslcpnoxpr.jpg

IMG_2789_zpsff3tdgw4.jpg

IMG_2790_zpso2ktgwix.jpg

Then on Saturday, I had a new set of boots fitted. Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s in 205/45/16 fitment. Highly rate these tyres, had them on a number of cars years ago. Wasn't aware they were still available as they have been discontinued for a fair while now. But they did come from Germany so I guess it is just remaining stock that is left over there...

IMG_2779_zpsqixz9zno.jpg

IMG_2781_zpsngxoft22.jpg

Last but not least, just bought a set of Trophy Sachs front dampers yesterday, these should be here sometime this week! Will be getting these refurbished by BG Motorsport/Cornering Force, and then fitting along with a new pair of rear Sachs dampers once they come into stock at dealers and some Mark Fish springs, so they will be the next purchases I would imagine. Can't wait to have these fitted!

That brings me right up to date! Will try to keep this updated with any future work!

Ash

Reaction score
Nice work. Looks great!
Looking forward to hearing what you think when all the suspension is on.
I've never heard anything on here about changing the gearshifter. Any more information and thoughts on the improvement would be interesting.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looking nice...
Just one question for you.
How old are the tyres. They will have a date stamp on the sidewall somewhere. As these tyres have as you rightly say, been discontinued for some time...They were good in there day, but im guessing have been bettered now...
As im sure your aware, tyres/rubber degrades over time, even if its not used.....Just a word of warning...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looking nice...
Just one question for you.
How old are the tyres. They will have a date stamp on the sidewall somewhere. As these tyres have as you rightly say, been discontinued for some time...They were good in there day, but im guessing have been bettered now...
As im sure your aware, tyres/rubber degrades over time, even if its not used.....Just a word of warning...

Now this is quite interesting. I am aware of rubber degrading and didn't think of date stamp of tyres when ordering them.

However I have just gone out and checked, and date stamp appears to be '1515'.

My understanding is that means they were manufactured in the 15th week of year 2015, which by my calculation is near to the end of April 2015, about a month ago. Interesting considering these were discontinued a fair while ago?

All I do know is fitting was delayed by a couple of weeks as the delivery kept being put back as they were coming over from Germany. Think a bit more research is required now!

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The only reason for my post was , ive just recently ordered and received some tyres from a well known supplier, that were dated 2011, 0311 to be precise meaning they were made in the 3rd week of 2011,so in my book there not new...But 4 years old...
Safely saying ill not be fitting them...

Reaction score
From what I've been told Goodyear still make the old F1's in certain sizes. Great project and the bg looks amazing all the best with it and will look forward to future updates

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That is one lovely car dude. Right at home on this forum

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for the nice comments chaps.

So a few things arrived in the post today.

Two pairs of Silver Vision bulbs which should make the front and rear a bit nicer in my opinion...

IMG_2808_zpsntuq0m1f.jpg

My Ph1 Shifter and Gear Knob also turned up. This has the adjustable Yanoo Stiff Shift fitted, along with brass bushes and stiffer ball insert. Just need to get some gearbox oil and then can get this fitted.

IMG_2807_zpsd9ddzczt.jpg

IMG_2806_zpsnul3isko.jpg

Last but not least my Sachs dampers turned up today. I unwrapped one of them just to see how they look. Then I wrapped it straight back up again and put it back in the box it came in, as they are already booked in with BG Motorsport for a refurbishment next week so I shall be sending them straight back out in the next day or two! Nothing special to look at at the moment, but they'll be back in a couple of weeks all freshly powdercoated and refurbished.

IMG_2800_zps2tjpaxxo.jpg

Ash

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Time for a bit of an update.

A while back I ordered some AST adjustable top mounts, which I will get fitted when the Sachs come back from refurbishment. Here is a pic when they arrived.

IMG_2809_zpsgduj7ye6.jpg

IMG_2810_zpspkh0cs7x.jpg

Then I purchased some alcantara interior parts from somebody who was breaking their Monaco 172. Here is when they arrived.

IMG_2812_zpssvbgy0pt.jpg

IMG_2813_zpsapipyvgf.jpg

IMG_2814_zpskldaqbvh.jpg

IMG_2815_zpsdbszpobf.jpg

IMG_2816_zps4edv28j5.jpg

And then I got it all fitted...

IMG_2821_zpsqlueqgcg.jpg

IMG_2827_zpsf0jnfkti.jpg

IMG_2829_zps3svd8bgu.jpg

IMG_2831_zpsppepihol.jpg

IMG_2832_zpsblkkj0ir.jpg

IMG_2834_zpsu6aqwukm.jpg

IMG_2837_zpsrjehhcdd.jpg

IMG_2838_zpsbtgxa2ez.jpg

Really happy with how they look. Now I am just on the lookout for a matching alcantara gear gaiter!

From the same person I bought some bullets, which had been smoothed, painted anthracite which match my wheels, and the 2.0 16v has been done in dark blue. So I got them fitted...

IMG_2843_zpskzrjftkm.jpg

I then decided to buy some ClioSport stickers in dark blue to march the writing on the bullets. It's the small details!

IMG_2841_zpskgzgygkr.jpg

So I had a call from BG Motorsport on Friday to say my Sachs dampers are done, refurbished and powdercoated. So they should arrive at work tomorrow, very excited!

I also called Mark Fish just over a week ago, and ordered a set of his Trophy springs, and a pair of rear adjustable Koni shocks. These should be here towards the end of next week or beginning of the following (about a two week wait for springs).

Then took a trip to my local ECP to collect a pair of Lemforder track rod ends (doing a complete suspension refresh when fitting springs and dampers).

IMG_2886_zpspaqpldk8.jpg

As mentioned previously, one of my headlight washer jets is leaking, so I have ordered a pair of washer blanks from Simon at Spray Shack which will be painted in Black Gold. I also sent my aluminium Ph1 172 gear knob to him to have sprayed Black Gold at the same time, ready to be fitted in a couple of weeks. Hopefully get all the back this week.

First parcel to arrive this week were my new brakes from George at RTR Parts. Couldn't recommend this guy enough. Customer service is excellent, really helpful guy and delivery was really quick with regular updates on status of order. If you need new brake parts, go to this guy! Delivery is also free over a certain amount and his prices are very competitive! Everything in the pic was bought from RTR, apart from the braided lines which I already had. Car is booked in with Mike at Rentech to have all this fitted on 26th June.

IMG_2885_zpsafsa560v.jpg

Next to arrive was my gearbox oil from Opie. I opted for Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75W-80, and I know you need 4L to be on the safe side. Currently on eBay, Opie are offering 5L of this gearbox oil for £41.10 including delivery, which is a bargain! And a fair amount cheaper than it is on their website too! So if you are needing gearbox oil then get it now whilst this offer is on! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181245804731?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

IMG_2884_zpsmepyk81o.jpg

Next up I ordered some TPI polarised wheel bolts and a set of lockers from sixonetwo. They look the absolute nuts. Haven't fitted them yet, but will get that done pretty soon.

IMG_2879_zpse7o5u4ko.jpg

IMG_2880_zpszqxm3tks.jpg

Also ordered various new bulbs to freshen up the look of the car, and get rid of that yellow tint from the sidelights. I went for:

Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H7 - Main Beam bulbs
Osram Cool Blue Intense 501 - Sidelight bulbs
Osram Diadem 581 - Front and Rear Indicator bulbs

IMG_2876_zpsvzqgreji.jpg

They were all ordered from PowerBulbs. Again, cannot recommend their service enough. Super quick delivery, and they also offer a ClioSport club discount (I know a few of you guys are on ClioSport also).

Managed to get all the bulbs changed over today, really happy with the results. The hardest part was changing the sidelights over, not much room!! But they look much better match with the Xenons now. The indicator bulbs also look really cool in my eyes (I appreciate they won't be to everyone's liking) and there is the added bonus that they should match the new wheel bolts once I get them fitted!

IMG_2890_zpsixwbingg.jpg

IMG_2889_zpspr0yed7c.jpg

IMG_2888_zpsh6dwb6c1.jpg

Yesterday my new number plate light lens arrived. Just waiting for my LED bulb to arrive now, and then they can both be fitted together.

IMG_2881_zps9fh1nt1o.jpg

Last but not least, I ordered some Powerflex bushes from Obsessive Detail which should arrive soon (currently a good discount being offered for ClioSport members until June). I went for the following:

Inner Anti Roll Bar Bushes
Outer Anti Roll Bar Bushes
Steering Rack Bushes
Rear Beam Bushes
Rear Shock Top Mounting Bushes

These should all be here sometime this week.

That is it for now. Big update will come once all my suspension parts arrive, at which point the car will be booked in again with Mike at Rentech to have everything fitted (Trophy dampers, Koni rears, Mark Fish springs, AST adjustable front top mounts, Powerflex bushes, new genuine wishbones, new track rod ends, Eibach camber bolts). Should be quite a setup, cannot wait for it all to arrive over the next few weeks!

Ash

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ah interesting, this is almost the exact work I will be doing to mine and have been thinking of where to take it. You can be my guinea pig ;)

Reaction score
Excellent work! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how the car feels after the suspension changes. The Ast top mounts seem like a great piece of kit. Where did you order yours from?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for all the generous comments guys.

Excellent work! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how the car feels after the suspension changes. The Ast top mounts seem like a great piece of kit. Where did you order yours from?

I ordered them direct from AST UK. Good deal cheaper than getting them elsewhere. If you decide to get them, just mention when you call that you want the adjustable amounts for the Clio Trophy, and that should see you good.

Great work looks excellent so far. You have me thinking about doing the interior bits the same :cool:

Yeah I really like the interior bits, really nice touch. There is a guy selling his alcantara A pillars and handbrake cover over on ClioSport actually, exactly the same as mine. He is looking for £20 for both, see the link below, may be worth getting them!

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/br...dline-sabelt-samco-spax.776422/#post-10784195

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So my Sachs dampers arrived today back from BG. Really happy with them, can't wait to get them fitted! Have to say, service from BG Motorsport was absolute A1, and turnaround was super quick even considering I mentioned that I was in no immediate rush for them! Would not hesitate to recommend. Anyway, pics...

IMG_2891_zps2okryr8v.jpg

IMG_2893_zpshgf2shxq.jpg

IMG_2894_zps4oyhkpcl.jpg

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So my new number plate LED bulb arrived earlier this week. Also got it fitted, with a before and after shot below. Much better!

IMG_2896_zpsntgt0qcl.jpg

IMG_2899_zpsml2s2c3l.jpg

IMG_2901_zpssfcbj9zc.jpg

IMG_2902_zpsiovxsffv.jpg

Then a number of goodies turned up yesterday...

First up, my RenaultSport Sabelt wheel, which has been retrimmed in black alcantara by Jack at Royal Steering wheels, with grey stitching. Perfect. Also with a K-Tec hub and a Ph1 stalk with the horn on the end. Hopefully get this fitted at the weekend. Always wanted a Sabelt wheel but never liked the standard blue/black mix (ok for a blue car I guess), so when this one came up I couldn't resist.

IMG_2912_zps0g8u7uao.jpg

IMG_2913_zpsgl6beily.jpg

IMG_2914_zpshfg0taii.jpg

Then my Powerflex bushes turned up. Still waiting for the steering rack bushes to arrive as they are on a slight back order, but everything else is now here.

IMG_2915_zpslw1dtr3u.jpg

Just need to order a new pair of wishbones now, and wait for my Koni rear shocks and springs to arrive from Mark Fish, and then the suspension can all be fitted.

Finally, had some parts turn up from Simon at Spray Shack. Firstly, a pair of washer blanks painted in Black Gold. And my favourite part... sent off my Ph1 172 gearknob from my shifter to Simon to have sprayed Black Gold also, as the finish wasn't perfect before. Wow! What can I say! It looks a million times better than it does in the picture. And you can't really see the Black Gold in the pic, but it looks absolutely awesome! Very happy with all the parts, have to say the quality of Simon's spraying is top class!

IMG_2918_zpskjdyd0xd.jpg

IMG_2916_zpsrymjeiry.jpg

IMG_2917_zpsd5tc2xev.jpg

Reaction score
The sabelt wheel looks great! Jack does a fantastic job and the sabelt wheel really suits the car and makes it more enjoyable to drive.

Also the painted gearknob is a very nice touch! Really liking it