Reaction score
Ive just had a reply from Ben about the exhaust they are develooping and this is what he had to say:-

Hello Michael,

The exhaust is indeed something that is very special, however the custom
components are expensive and rather fancy.

Cost will be in the region of £1000-£1200, yet it does not include a
sports cat, as one of the design features does not allow the use of a
cat.

This is a pure and ultimate performance item of the highest quality and
design, all other systems look simply archaic in comparison.

It compromises of 3 ceramic silencers, 321 stainless (higher grade than
the 304 everybody else uses), carbon tail trims, megaphone with reverse
cone to extend the torque curve and a sub 98db limit.

We are sadly so busy at the moment that we have not had time to
fabricate any and have not ordered the manufacture of the silencers from
the US. We are looking to outsource the fabrication and manufacture to
another company at the moment to take the work load off and push out
some systems.

Regards

Ben

This sounds really nice but i think this is a tad too expensive for me but will have to see in the summer as i think i may be tempted to buy!lol Along with the inlet mod?

Reaction score
7MAT said:
Bugger that over a grand and not MOT friendly.

I'll second that :?

No doubt knowing AW work that these will be awesome, but whats the biggest gains your gonna see?

Saying that I'm very much looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Edit; ok that clearly was a dumb question as nobody has answered, will go and look it up and let people get on with the thread.

Reaction score
I'll try to help. This is just my personal understanding from working with throttle bodied Elises.
They are basically a high tech version of a carburettor. Air and fuel is metered through each 'body'. They vary a bit as to the way they get their air, sometimes drawing from a shared feed or with individual 'trumpets'. The butterfly valves position inside (like to a carb) directly corresponds to throttle pedal position. Via this postion information (and using air flow sensor) fuel is supplied through individual injectors in to the back of the body itself, often via a common fuel rail. It is all controlled via an ECU. It provides very accurate response and metering of mixture. Also with a lot less restriction than normal inlet manifold system hense power gains through better less restricted flow and fuelling.
They are usually expensive and if you buy individual parts yourself, very tricky to set up.
Hope that helps, for a picture specific to F4R's visit K-Tec site you'll be able to see what they offer and how it would look.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for that, explained in a manner that even i can understand :)

Julz

Reaction score
Throttle bodies have individual butterflies for each cylinder and do not have a plenum chamber, thus do not suffer from pulse interference between cylinders, which happens in the plenum chamber - hence they can run what is known as a tuned length to improve the amount of air that can be 'rammed' into the cylinder .

when fitted as a conversion they do not use an airflow meter, but rely on a throttle position sensor, which tends to give the responsiveness of a 4 cylinder car on twin webers (the nearest equivalent in carburettor terms). This set up requires a totally different ECU from standard and most of the 'tuner' market solutions are aimed at motor sport, hence lack the bells and whistles to to fine tune emissions, particularly for the MOT test.

High performance cars such as the M3 run a throttle body set-up, but with far more sophisticated electronics.

Tne big attraction is that throttle bodies and a non-standard ECU can cope with much aggressive cams and hence offer the potential for higher power outputs.

The old Vauxhall 16v engine (now nearly 20 years old) would give over 200 bhp on throttle bodies and a suitable ECU without any other mods and it was not difficult to get 230 with a sensible torque curve. The length from the opening of the ram pipe to the inlet valve affects the shape of the power curve and this is one of the areas where I would guess that the Clio becomes problematical, as the right length would stick out of the front - Ben R can advise whether this assessment is correct.