Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm going to be selling the 540Ci and getting a small - swb landy or rav4 size 4wd car for the winter. looking at around £4k outlay

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are as to which one to get.

I've scoured the markets and shortened the selection to;

Scubby outback
Rav4
Merc ML

any other idea's? I was looking into a hiLux but they're too big to fit in the garage. :(

Reaction score
Merc or Outback from that list. I would imagine a Rav4 is similar to Vitara on road which are not that great tbh.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'm not after a great road car to be fair - something to get from a-b and can tackle bridleways and snow with relative ease.

Also add x-trail into the equation....

Reaction score
Suzuki Jimny!

That'l fit in your garage, or your shed..

In all serious though it's an incredibly competent off roader (if that's what your after) - most fun car i've ever owned and it laughs in the face of snow. Cheap and easy to maintain and indestructable despite looking like a fairy.

Downside is it's horid for journeys over 30 miles lets say but for a run about just hillerous good fun. The only 4x4 i'd choose over this is a defender.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
that's a tad on the small side - need something that'll fit 5 in and possibly tow a boat...

Reaction score
Can't one person sit in the boat? It might be able tow one of those inflatable dinghies.

Reaction score
Cue,

Go for a post 52 plate Freelander TD4 auto ES (top spec with heated leather seats etc).

Brought mine back in March this year.
Have upgraded the crankcase breather to a BMW one (has no filter so can't get blocked).
A EGR bypass valve and some yoko geolander g012 ATS tyres.

I've been to the south of France fully loaded up, returned around 40mpg, doing 85 90mph.
Its very capable off roader dispite what people say, see you tube link below.

you do need to do your homework on them though, things to look out for etc. Get a good un though and you'll be laughing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_wKr6CC2UI

Attachments

• 2011-10-15 13.10.35.jpg
    2011-10-15 13.10.35.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
Reaction score
you could consider something like a ford ranger double cab, room for five, large load bed which you can get a hardtop for. Not the most sophisticated vehicles but virtually indestruckable. We have run 5 or so in our business and the two door ones have a one tonne payload and were always fully loaded and a bit more. They were used hard and would do 200000 miles on the original engine and gearbox easy, we even had a 250000 miler which is amazing and are easy to maintain. it has a 2.5 turbo diesel, a ford/mazda unit the bt2500 was the same vehicle only rebranded. The engine is of an older design so is very tough and unstessed, has a high/low range box and is rear wheel dive with an lsd. Obviously you can switch it into 4wd but only in bad conditions.
An old landy is great but the ford is more car like and is much better to drive and more reliable/cheaper to run and you would get a newer one. The only thing is you wont get more than about 25mpg average maybe a bit more because we always ran them loaded.
Subaru estate or yeah a freelander but beware build quality aint great. The jap 4x4's are always gonna be more reliable but arent as good off road it depends if you need a serious off roader or something for a bit off snow and ice. Fit winter tyres and your clio will be better than most 4x4;s on standard tyres. Oh and if you dont need to much space fiat panda 4x4 with winter tyres, not much would bear it and its cheap to run and has 5 doors. They all run them in the alps and ski resorts will go where a normal 4x4 wont especially with snow chains. Hope that helped not confused, used to sell cars so have extensive knowledge. Just make sure you get one with the best history'/condition and dont focus too much on mileage. Still awake :lol:

Reaction score
The rangers are great but they'll be too big for his garage, won't they? I think the freelanders are a good bet for the money. Defenders are excellent off road but you get very little for your money. If you want a real work horse a daihatsu fourtrak although none of these are on you list lol. I do quite a bit of shooting so I've been in a few 4x4s.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hmm food for thought. I discounted the freelander as build quality and reliability seem horrendous. The Ranger is bit on the large side - The size of the freelander is perfect but just too fragile.

Nissan Terrano II 2.7 swb version is my current thoughts... ?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thought about the forester but a bit above budget.... I'm only 30 mins away from that 4x4 centre - once I get one sorted I'll be there :)

Reaction score
Cue said:
hmm food for thought. I discounted the freelander as build quality and reliability seem horrendous. The Ranger is bit on the large side - The size of the freelander is perfect but just too fragile.

Nissan Terrano II 2.7 swb version is my current thoughts... ?

The build quality on the freelanders are ok, like I said get the later model ones, as all the niggles are sorted out.
Plus you get traction control and hill decent etc. as standard
Reliability issues are only on the K series 1.8 petrol engines, head gaskets tend to go.
The TD4 (bmw engine) is the one to look at.
Fragile MMmm well err no... disagree..

Thats it I've done my defending of the freelander :lol: I Should be on the landy forum.... #-o

Only you can decide....good luck on your hunt.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Right, I think I'm settled on which ever ticks the most boxes out of the following:

Nissan Terrano II 2.7 swb
Nissan x-trail
Rav 4
Freelander.

Boxes are:
performance on road
performance off road
features
mpg
tax and insurance bands
reliability scores on user forums

I've a feeling the nissans will top the list but I'll give each one a fair crack of the whip and report back in the next few weeks. Just need to sell the bmw now...